Power from the people
We’re proud to support renewable energy sources wherever we can – and that includes working with you. If you’ve got a solar PV panel system at your home or small business then we’re able to offer you great Feed-in Tariffs for the electricity you generate.
What are FiTs?
Feed-in Tariffs are the main financial incentive to encourage people to install renewable electricity-generating technologies at home. Some of the larger energy suppliers are mandatory participants in the FiT scheme, but we're happy to be involved on a voluntary basis.
FiTs consist of two component tariffs:
- The first is a generation tariff for all the electricity you generate.
- The second is an export tariff, for the excess energy you don't use, which gets exported to the National Grid.
For more helpful information about the Feed-in Tariff and other renewable energy schemes we recommend visiting the Energy Saving Trust.
Can I sign up for FiTs?
You can apply for our Feed-in Tariff programme if you…
- are a Spark customer for your domestic electricity and gas
- have a PV solar panel system
- have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at level D or above
- have a system with an installed capacity of 50kW or less
- have a MCS-approved generation meter
- have photographic identification - only a passport or driver’s license will do.
How do we get started?
There are just a few things we need you to send us before we can get started.
- Firstly, download the declaration and questionnaire forms from the links below and fill them out.
- Include a copy of your Energy Performance Certificate, your MCS Installation Certificate, Installation Invoice & Photographic ID.
- Take a meter reading from the generation meter and include that too.
- Finally, send all of the above to FiTs@sparkenergy.co.uk.
Why do we prefer email applications?
We always advise sending your application by email so that we can set your eligibility date as quickly as possible and use the reading you've provided in your application. If you can't email, please send it to FiTs Manager, Spark Energy Supply Limited, Ettrick Riverside, Dunsdale Road, Selkirk, TD7 5EB.
The eligibility date is the date from which your installation becomes eligible for FiT payments.
For installations with MCS certificate issue dates on or after 15 January 2016 the ‘eligibility date’ will be the later of:
- The application date to the FIT licensee (The date we receive the application)
- The start of the cap period that the installation falls into.
The eligibility date will be after the date on which your renewable electricity system is installed, so it's critical to send us your application as soon as you can. The best way to get your application to us is by sending it to FiTs@Sparkenergy.co.uk, but if you are sending your application by post we advise using Royal Mail's Special Delivery - this way, you can rest assured that your application doesn’t get lost along the way.
We recommend that you contact us as soon as possible to confirm exactly what information we need from you and when we need to receive it by. It’s your responsibility to monitor the progress of your application.
Please note that the payments for the energy you generate will be based on the meter reading you give us on the eligibility date. This is likely to be later than the date the system was commissioned, so any kWh units generated before the eligibility date won’t qualify. Additionally, the rate at which you’re paid for generation and export units will be representative of the rate that is applicable on your eligibility date.
Why won’t I be paid from the very start (when my system was commissioned)?
Unfortunately, we can’t confirm that your installation is compliant with Ofgem regulations until you send us your application. Once your application is received, we’ll assess your eligibility for FiTs payments with Spark and get you up and running as soon as possible.
To qualify for a quarterly FiTs payment we’ll need you to send us your generation reading by email to FiTs@sparkenergy.co.uk, or over the phone on 0345 034 7474 at the end of each FiTs Quarter. If you’re calling in, make sure you ask for our dedicated FiTs team.
Please provide your quarterly readings before the following dates:
Remember: When submitting your generation reads, please make sure that you’ve been clear about any numbers that appear in red or after the decimal point.
You’ll also need to provide us with any outstanding documents and declarations before we can release your payment. These include…
- Your signed Terms of Agreement
- Annual Declarations
- Biennial Meter Inspections
As the scheme evolves, we may need to ask you to sign additional documents or give us further information. It’ll help us provide you with a better service if you can return these to us quickly, so we’d really appreciate your cooperation.
What are the tariffs?
A useful link to view the Feed-in Tariff, Year 7, photovoltaic (solar panel) tariffs can be found here