Your privacy is important
A guide to the use of your personal data
This policy describes and governs the collection, storage and use of personal information collected by us - in particular about our customers and potential customers. It provides you with details about the personal information that we may collect from you, as well as how we use that information.
1. Who we are
Spark Energy Supply Ltd is a company registered in England (registration number 05857467), whose registered office is at Regent House, 316 Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood, London SE19 3HF. Our trading address is Ettrick Riverside, Dunsdale Road, Selkirk, Scotland TD7 5EB. For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, we are the Data Controller.
2. The information we collect about you
We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or other services we provide. We may also work with third parties and may receive information about you from them.
We may collect the following information about you:
- your name;
- your age and sex;
- your postal address;
- your phone number (fixed line and/or mobile);
- fax and e-mail details;
- energy usage and other service related information (including data gathered and stored on a smart meter);
- credit history information;
- details of any criminal offences (where we suspect and/or you have been accused of committing fraud or stealing energy);
- bank account details;
- Financial and credit card (or other billing information); and
- any additional needs you may have.
When you enter into a Contract for the supply of Energy to your Property, we may check our own records and others, such as those of credit reference agencies (CRAs) and fraud prevention agencies (FPAs). When CRAs receive a search request from us they will place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other lenders. They supply to us both public (including the electoral register) and shared credit and fraud prevention information.
We may also make checks such as assessing your application for credit and verifying identities to prevent and detect crime. We may also make periodic searches at CRAs and FPAs to manage your account with us. If you are making a joint application or tell us that you have a spouse or financial associate, we will link your records together so you must be sure that you have their agreement to disclose information about them. CRAs also link your records together and these links will remain on your and their files until such time as you or your partner successfully files for a disassociation with the CRAs to break that link.
Information on your Contract may be sent to CRAs and will be recorded by them (including details of your account and how this is managed). If you do not pay our charges in full and on time, CRAs may record the outstanding debt. This information may be supplied to other organisations by CRAs and FPAs to perform similar checks and to trace your whereabouts and recover debts that you owe. Records remain on file for 6 years after they are closed, whether settled by you or defaulted.
3. Information you give us
You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our website (our site) or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our services, search for a product, place an order on our site, participate in live chat or other social media functions on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph.
If you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect or identify fraud we will record this and may also pass this information to fraud prevention agencies and other organisations involved in crime and fraud prevention.
4. Information we collect about you from our website
With regard to each of your visits to our website we may automatically collect the following information:
technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
5. How we may store and use your information
We (or third party data processors acting on our behalf) may collect, store and use your personal information listed above (including energy consumption data) for the following purposes:
- to transfer your utility supply from your previous utility provider, and also to pass details to other utility providers and network providers in connection with your use of utility services;
- to manage your utility account(s) with us, to provide you with information about how much of a particular service you have used and what charges will apply;
- to communicate with you in relation to your account with us, including by post, email, your online account, SMS and live chat;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features (e.g. on our website) and as part of our efforts to keep our website safe and secure and to administer our website for internal operations;
- in connection with arranging and conducting visits to your property (e.g. to read meters);
- to contact you (including by SMS and e-mail) with products and services which we think may interest you;
- to disclose your personal information to carefully chosen third parties including your local authority, your water company and our broadband and telephony partner so that they may contact you (including by SMS and e-mail) with products and services which they think may interest you;
- in connection with system maintenance, testing and training;
- to run credit checks the results of which may impact the services which we offer you;
- to undertake or assist fraud prevention, identity or money laundering verification and legal enforcement where necessary;
- to create profiles and marketing opportunities where you have explicitly consented for your data to be used for such purposes; and
- in connection with market research activities.
We or our suppliers may also record calls that we hold with you for quality, training and audit purposes (and to ensure that such calls meet legal and regulatory requirements) but only having notified you of this fact.
6. Who we share your information with
We may disclose your personal information in respect of the purposes listed above with the following organisations:
- any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the Companies Act 2006;
- letting agents and landlords;
- service providers in connection with your use of our services;
- our business partners and subcontractors (including our broadband and telephony partner);
- online comparison websites;
- Government and/or regulatory bodies, such as Ofgem;
- third parties where there is a legal duty to disclose or share such information or in order to enforce or apply the terms of our Contract with you;
- the owners and/or operators of smart (or similar) meters;
- other utility service providers who may supply to your property (including the Relevant Network Operator) as well as your councils, local authorities, water company, social services, charities, healthcare or other support organisations and/or housing associations relevant to your property and/or use of our services;
- payment and mail fulfilment providers;
- online email service providers;
- CRAs, fraud prevention and debt collection agencies for the purpose of debt collection and issuing default notices; and
- market research organisations.
If a third party acquires all (or substantially all) of our business and/or assets, we may disclose your personal information to that third party in connection with the acquisition. We may also disclose your personal information where we are required to do so by applicable law, by a governmental body or by a law enforcement agency.
7. How we may contact you
Unless you have expressly advised us to the contrary, we may contact you in any way, including by email, phone, text or multimedia message or other forms of electronic communication (including, where applicable, a message through your smart meter) or by visiting you. Where we are contacting you to tell you about any offers, we will use reasonable endeavours to only contact you in accordance with your preferred communication method.
8. International transfers
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or when you open an email or SMS communication. They are used to make websites and other forms of communication work more efficiently as well as to track certain actions. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer or mobile device.
When you use our website or communicate with us via email or SMS communication, we may place a cookie on your computer or mobile device. More information about the cookies that we use on our website and why we use them are set out below:
- PHP Session ID – these allow us provide a good user experience on our website.
- Google analytics – we use these to send information about your session to Google so they can provide us with traffic statistics and popular pages so we can improve our website.
- intelecomchat_<customerKey>_<queueKey> – we use your session information to provide our Live Chat service.
- No Cache – this is used as a flag to tell your internet browser not to cache the page.
You can delete and/or block cookies by changing the settings on your internet browser, however, if you do delete cookies or set your internet browser to block cookies you may not be able to access all parts of our website.
10. Third party websites
Whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard the personal information that you provide to us, no transmission to or from us by post, email, fax or over the Internet can ever be guaranteed secure. Unless encrypted, communications over the internet are not secure and as such, we cannot accept any liability or responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information.
12. Using your data for marketing purposes
From time to time we will have offers or promotions or other communications that may be referred to as ‘marketing’ via email or text.
If you would prefer not to receive this information please let us know by writing to: Marketing Department, Spark Energy, Ettrick Riverside, Dunsdale Road, Selkirk TD7 5EB. Please include your name, address and postcode and whether you’d like to opt out of email, text messages, or both. You can also tell us at any time that you want us to stop sharing your personal information with other organisations for marketing purposes.
14. How to find out more
If you have any questions about how we collect, store and use personal information or would like to read the full details of how your data may be used please contact us:
Visit our website: www.sparkenergy.co.uk
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Write to us: Spark Energy, Ettrick Riverside, Dunsdale Road, Selkirk TD7 5EB
You are entitled to have a copy of the information we hold about you. There may be a charge of no more than £10.00 for providing you with a copy of such information.