Keeping you warm in winter
The Warm Home Discount scheme is a government initiative aimed at helping people who may struggle to pay for their winter energy bills. It's a one-off payment of £140 (including VAT) off electricity bills and, if you apply and are eligible for the scheme, the discount will be applied to your energy account.
Am I eligible for the Warm Home Discount?
The Warm Home Discount scheme is split into a ‘Core’ group and a ‘Broader’ group:
- Core group – If you're in this group you’ll receive a letter direct from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). If you receive this letter, you don’t need to contact us and the letter will tell you what you need to do next. You’re in this group if you or your partner are the named electricity account holder and receive either of the following:
- The Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit only (not just the State Pension).
- The Guarantee Credit element and the Savings Credit element of Pension Credit
Broader group - Eligibility is based on your individual circumstances and you need to apply during the application period. This year's application form is now closed but you can pre-register for Warm Home Discount 2019/20.
Want to pre-register for next year's Warm Home Discount?
Complete the form below and you'll be first to know when the scheme re-opens.
How will I receive my discount?
How we apply this to your account will depend on how you currently pay for your electricity supply:
- If you pay on receipt of a bill or by Direct Debit
Your discount will be automatically applied to your account and will show on your next bill or statement - you don’t need to do anything.
- If you’re a Pay As You Go customer
We’ll apply the discount to your account and when you next top up in your usual way, the credit will automatically be applied to your electricity meter.
- If you’re a Pay As You Go customer with a Smart meter
We’ll apply the discount remotely which will show on your In-Home Display as a balance increase of £140 - you don’t need to do anything.
If you already have a credit on your account, £140 will simply be added to this. If you have any debt on your account, we’ll simply reduce the debt by £140 and credit any remaining amount
You can also visit www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme for more details.